Sunday, June 24, 2012

Baby Brother in Mommy's Tummy

This pregnancy is, of course, going by way too quickly.  I can’t believe I am 27 weeks along. 
Our little boy is quite the moving man – for the last 3-4 weeks he has really given me a lot of activity – and even activity that Ben has been able to feel, which because of the placement of the placenta  (sorry if that is TMI, but deal...) we didn’t think that may happen. 
I am still experiencing plenty of bloody noses; they are nearly daily.  I’ve had the doctor cauterize a spot in my nose twice now, but it still seems to bleed… for those of you who don’t know, bloody noses when pregnant is something fairly common, as the blood and blood flow is increased and noses are prone to taking the hit… unfortunately with all the sneezing I do, even with my allergy meds in full force, there is a lot going on with my nose, in relation to my belly.  Strange isn’t it?

He is hanging out much higher than Olivia did; the doctor confirmed that I wasn’t overreacting when she checked me at our last visit and felt for the top and said, “oh my, he is nice and high” – then she proceeded to tell me that tums and my other anti reflux medicines were likely to be more and more of my friends going forward.  After I eat, I feel much better if I am standing or at least sitting up really straight, otherwise, there is just not enough room!
There is so much that I enjoy about this pregnancy, as I did with Olivia’s, I enjoy the way my belly is growing… I enjoy the movement…  I enjoy picking out clothes for him and starting to plan his room, I enjoy sharing the moments with Ben and talking about the little one’s arrival together! 

The one thing that I didn’t have when pregnant with Olivia was another member of our family to be excited about his arrival.  Olivia is very aware of her ‘baby brother’.  We aren’t sure if she really totally comprehends it, but she will randomly come over to me and say, “give baby brother a kiss?” then she has to kiss my belly.  Recently, we had to start talking about how sometimes we have to kiss baby brother with mommy’s clothes on (and not a bare tummy), because Olivia got really upset one day in church and a fit ensued because I wouldn’t pull up my shirt and let her kiss him.  Hopefully our discussions about when people are around how we keep baby brother under my clothes, will help her a little bit J  Additionally, she LOVES the two books we have about being a big sister and/or having a new baby arrive to the family.  Those have been her books of choice at bedtime for the last several weeks.  And she likes to point at the baby and say ‘baby brother’.  So with all that going on, I’d like to think that she really does know what is going to happen.. .  just not sure that she’ll be as in love with him when he gets here ;-)  either way, it’s amazing to experience this all together…

While in the UK, everyone’s been so impressed that ‘I made the trip’… it’s hilarious to me because it doesn’t seem like it should be that big of a deal, but I suppose some wouldn’t be up to coming overseas while carrying a baby.  I have to admit, things aren’t as easy, but certainly manageable.  The other day I walked about four miles around Bristol while shopping, etc. – I did have to take quite a few more breaks, because the baby just seemed to strain my belly, but after sitting down for a breather I’d feel better when getting up.  Fortunately I have had decent luck with my sleep on this trip.  In March, when traveling to Germany I started off the trip poorly because I couldn’t sleep on the planes at all.  Then I was up quite a bit of the first few nights, then the other nights I just went to bed later so that I was sure to fall asleep.  All in all, that was hard on my body… and I was worried that might carry over to this trip too, but not the case; I got a solid 3 hours of sleep on the plane and then slept okay the first night, and then fully into sleep the nights following.   It would have been a pretty difficult trip without good sleep!

This little boy is already pretty amazing and quite a trooper - hopefully he can stick it out with us through the rest of the summer, and we get to meet him around his due date.  It's okay if he wants to come two days early, my dad's birthday is the 21st - so it would be neat if he wanted to come then.. otherwise, as long as he doesn't hang out after our due date, I'll be fine with that ;-)

Beginning of week 28: 

No comments:

Post a Comment