This May day, though cold and a bit dreary, was much better than the last May day, when Olivia got pneumonia and we couldn't do our deliveries after all our hard work the night before!
We invited Grandma Janie to join us in making baskets again this year; it was my mom who helped me learn the May Day tradition.
Lincoln was not as much help as he would like to have thought he was... he really enjoyed his own solo cup to play with though!
At a certain point, Olivia told Grandma she didn't need her help, she knew what she was doing...
All 32 of them....
So today, Olivia and I spent the day together, because daycare was closed (poor Theresa is really sick); so the daycare group won't get their baskets until Monday - they might be a bit stale by then... that's the way it works sometimes.. but at 5pm, when Dad got home for Lincoln, Olivia and I set off to adventure around Brookings delivery baskets of goodies. We stopped to deliver baskets to many folks, some were home, and some were not, but we only had one basket remaining when we returned to our house. Olivia learned that when we get to a house that nobody was home, we'd have to leave the basket for them on their door. We were fortunate that we got to spread a lot of May Day cheer. We even gave a May Day basket to a stranger, because mom wasn't quite sure of the address for one of Ben's work friends, and I ended up just one block off, at a very similar house. I knew as I was walking up, that it wasn't the right house, because it was set too far back on the lot, but decided we'd give a basket to whomever was there. I'm glad we made the mistake, because the older woman who answered the door was so pleased. And she was familiar with the May Day tradition because she gave Olivia and I kisses!
She was pretty good about saying "Happy May Day", unless when we got to the door, she wasn't as familiar with who was on the other side.
When we dropped one at Yuliya's apartment (she works at Dakt, originally from Russia, but grew up in ND), she asked "is this tradition around here?" and I said, "no, not really, just Olivia and I's tradition".
We also had a surprise waiting for us, one of our last stops was to drop one with Jessi, our hairdresser, as she was working at the salon, and wouldn't you know it, Grandma Janie was in her chair!! Olivia thought it was pretty funny.
All in all, I would say it was a successful May Day.

I LOVED May Day baskets!! Glad you and Olivia are keeping up the tradition. Maybe it's something the boys and I will have to start next year... :)
ReplyDeleteYes, you should definitely keep it in mind for next year; I know I wouldn't have to start it so young, but it's fun, and I enjoy it too..
ReplyDeleteThough the date sneaks up on me!