Monday, March 4, 2013

Olivia Update - our 2.5 year old

Where to even start with this girl? We have so much fun together, and within the same minute, things can take a turn for the worse and she tantrums about something she maybe just told me to do, case in point:
"Mom I want milk please" (Olivia, sweet voice, etc.)
"Okay, I'm pouring it now" (mom, nice voice)
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" - I DON'T WANT MILK MOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM... NO, I DON'T WANT MILK." (throws spoon)
{tantrum ensues - mom and dad try to distract/redirect/make light/be stern/time out}
"We forgot to pray" (dad says as a re-direction tactic)
"Father Son Holy Spirit, Bless us o Lord..." (Olivia - back to normal like it never even happened)
"Mommy, I'm a nice girl" (she says after the prayer)
"yes you are, mommy and daddy like it when Livvy behaves like a nice girl" (mommy follows up)

My sister, Amber, sent me a really interesting article - I encourage you to read it; entertaining and informative about toddlers and tantrums!

Olivia is a very helpful and sweet big sister - she really LOVES LOVES LOVES Lincoln - which is so nice to see on a regular basis. She likes to tell us baby brothers "status" - even if we are right there.
"Mom, I think he wants to nurse again."
"Mom, he needs to lay on the floor"
"Mom, he needs to be in the bouncer"
"what did you say Lincoln? You want big sister to give you a kiss?"
"oh Lincoln, don't worry, big sister is right here"
"are you tired little boy? yeah, I know, you're tired..."

I can't remember if I've shared this on the blog already, so I am doing so again. Olivia has nicknamed her little brother with a couple variations: crunchy butt and my little peanut butter guy. Love it when those come out!

Olivia hasn't really been all that interested in potty training until just the last month or so. And she's doing really really well. It's definitely all on her own accord, which if you know Olivia, is the way it just needs to be! We are thankful, as pre-school starts next fall and we were beginning to wonder if she was going to get disqualified. She usually gets done going potty - and tells everyone about her 'yellow pee'. She gets two M&Ms after going pee, and the first ones to be gone were the yellow ones because they were yellow like her pee. She generally has to ask whomever is with her "Are you impressed with me?" She just had her first experience with trying on a public toilet and she got stage fright, so we will have to start bringing the ring along now...

Right now, she likes to play with a lot of her toys - including her peoples still, but she also enjoys coloring, putting stickers on pages, doing puzzles (both on the floor and on daddy's kindle). She still enjoys watching Olivia, Dora and Thomas the Tank. She likes coloring in the bathtub, and helping her baby brother take baths.

She has many songs memorized, as well as the meal prayer - she's a quick learner.

Recently she picked Honey doll up and put her under her shirt and said she had a baby in her tummy, and then she took her out and said "mom, now she's a butterfly - she has wings". A few days later, honey came out and she was a monster.

She likes to help in the kitchen while we are cooking, and I've found she eats a little better when she's involved in the preparation - even though she tells me the entire time "I don't like (insert whatever we are making)".

A few nights back, Ben put Olivia to bed, and she came out and told Ben that she couldn't go back in there, Because there were swipers in there" (swiper is a little naughty fox who gets in trouble on Dora). Ben reassured her that swipers are only on TV and not real.

One night when Ben was taking care of the kids on his own, he was in the other room as she was eating at the dinner table, and she said "Dad, they're knocking on the door (referring to our backdoor by the garage)", "they're out there".. seriously, where does she get this stuff from? I told Ben it was a good thing I wasn't taking care of her, as I would have probably taken her and run and hid in the bedroom all night..

She borrows her silkies to her brother and tells him that he can use them to suck his thumb. Oh no!

She goes to bed around 8:30 now; we realized a month or so ago, that a little later of a bedtime meant she wasn't coming out every 5 minutes, etc.

She and Lincoln race in the morning to get ready for daycare. She is the one who says "ready, set, go" - it's fun when she is actually intersted in beating him - because there is no messing around!

She is just a lot of fun to be around, and I can't get over how smart she is. We love her so much, and yes, Olivia, "Mommy is so impressed".

This is just a quick one of how helpful she is when Lincoln is trying to nurse:

No comments:

Post a Comment